Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I Want a Time Machine

A Guest Post By E. Fink

I want a time machine for a million reasons. I would not want to change anything and cause a ripple in the space-time continuum. I just want to be able to observe things that happened over the course of history.

DovBear is fond of his Shabbos Table games and at my Shabbos table we play this game from time to time: If you could travel in time and just watch something what would you want to see? (There are two categories, Jewish and Secular.)

We've had some great conversations about great moments in Jewish and Secular history.

Last night we made our kitchen Kosher for Pesach* and I announced that I want to travel back in time to see what our great-great-grandparents did to prepare for Pesach. What was it like without aluminum foil and duct tape, stainless steel, porcelain and convection ovens? How did the Rama's wife prepare her kitchen? How about Rashi's family? Or Reb Yehuda HaNassi? Or even as recent as the Vilna Gaon?

If I can't time travel, then I wish I could get my hands on a diary or journal of someone who was there.

Would the "righteous women" of our generation of machmirim eat in their kitchens on Pesach?

I bet not...

(*We are preparing everything in advance then we go back to Chametz next week. We will not be staying in our home for Pesach, we are going to our Shabbos place on Venice Beach, so this actually makes sense. Don't ask...)

Search for more information about the space-time continuum at 4torah.com.

No comments: