Sunday, May 03, 2009

Was it a snub?

Every shul has a loud-mouthed Zionist right? In ours, he's the one who sings Hatikvah at the end of Hakafot on Simchas Torah, and looks hurt and bewildered when no one joins him. Every year, this happens. This morning, I made the mistake of standing too close to him after davening My reward was an earful about Obama, and how he and his "Arab brethren" are plotting to ruin Israel.

It was noise mostly, cribbed from loud-mouthed Zionist blogs, and sites like WorldNut Daily, but I was still sleepy and feeling amenable, so I listened quietly as he presented his brief against the United States. After about five minutes, the Rav drifted over and, with a grandfatherly smile, advised LMZ to work on his emunah (faith in God).

"The heart of a king belongs to God," he said. "All we can do is pray, and if we're worthy everything will work out."

LMZ nodded politely but when the Rabbi moved on, I caught him rolling his eyes. Funny how a guy who is certain Israel is a divine miracle, can simultaneously imagine that God abstains from American politics, no? But I digress. What I want to share with you came at the end of the rant, when LMZ said something that made a speck of sense. I bring it to you now for confirmation and commentary.

This week is the big AIPAC conference. According to LMZ, Obama hasn't invited Netanyahu to the White House, and this is the very first time in history that such an invitation hasn't been extended during the week the AIPAC conference is in session.

I've gone to all the usual sites, and completed the expected Google searches and confirmed that Netanyahu and Obama won't be meeting this week, but is the unprecedented snub LMZ says it is?

Search for more information about snubbed Israelis at 4torah.com.

No comments: