Friday, January 11, 2008

Ooops, I forgot to mention the Torah

Ooops, I forgot to mention the Torah
A guest post by XXGH

In Breishis, Hashem talks to the Avos about 15 or 16 times regarding the future. Almost every time Hashem says 'I will make you great, I will give you the land, you will have many descendants, nations will be blessed through you'. Fifteen times Hashem repeats the same basic promise. [DB: I don't think its 15 times. That isn't the point though, so don't get bogged down]

Yet not once does Hashem ever say, 'Oh, and by the way, I'm gonna give you the Torah'.

THE TORAH! Only the most important thing in the history of Judaism. In the history of the world even! And Hashem NEVER even mentions it. Not once! *

Strange, no?

Of course there's the easy and obvious answer, but why go there? I'm sure the olam here can come up with all sorts of imaginative non kefiradick vertlach.

*Yes, there are a couple of places where God makes a comment about Avraham keeping 'chukosy, torosy umishpotay' but thats not the same thing. [DB: The actual quot is Gen 26:5: עֵקֶב, אֲשֶׁר-שָׁמַע אַבְרָהָם בְּקֹלִי; וַיִּשְׁמֹר, מִשְׁמַרְתִּי, מִצְו‍ֹתַי, חֻקּוֹתַי וְתוֹרֹתָי ie: mishmarti, mitzvotai, chookotai, v'toroty]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

buy propecia online difference between propecia generic finasteride - how does propecia cost